Monday, March 17, 2014

Danielle's Corner: Snow White and the Garden of Eden

I have yet to post a blog talking about my faith and what it has to do with Disney.  I plan on incorporating aspects of faith into the podcast discussion and into my Corner blogs.  Ever since I was 15 or 16 I have come to notice spiritual and religious themes through film and literary texts and music and I instantly became obsessed with studying these themes and why they are so powerful to us, even if we don't claim to believe in religion at all.  Disney films contain a ton of spiritual themes and imagery.  I will be posting a longer blog about the ongoing debate between biblical Disney and anti-biblical Disney but until then I want to share with you the religious themes I noticed in this movie, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.
The biggest Christian element in this movie is, obviously, the poison apple Snow White eats.  It wasn't something I picked up right away but maybe a few days later when I was officially typing up my notes.  The story structure of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden is one many stories hark back to.  We can clearly see the allegory through this story.  For me personally, allegory isn't always something that was intended by the author/creator but can be interpreted from the work.  As I will explain in a more detailed blog, Walt Disney wanted to stay away from religion in his films and make them universal for everyone which is why I don't think this was done to represent a biblical moment.  It is just a critical part of the story that happens to reflect something that is reflected in many other works of fiction.  That being said, I do believe the Grimm Brothers who originated the fairy-tale had the Garden of Eden in mind.
Anyway, the Evil Queen plays the evil snake, Lucifer, while Snow White is our Eve.  Notice how much Snow White's story before this reflected the Garden of Eden as she harmoniously gets along with the animals and has a very cheerful outlook on the world around her and is innocent.  The apple the Evil Queen carries is the forbidden fruit.  Snow White isn't specifically warned not to eat the apple but she is warned by the Dwarfs to be suspicious about anything or anyone because it may have to do with the Evil Queen's plan to kill her.
Another clear religious symbol is the magic mirror the queen looks into.  Disney uses the theme of reflections a lot in their films.  The mirror essentially represents the root of all evil and sin which brings about things such as greed, pride, jealousy, etc.  It makes it all about ones self rather than seeing the bigger picture.  This is a bit ironic though because Disney movies are known for making your dreams come true and following your heart.  That seems very similar to looking into a mirror but that is a whole different debate which I will have to save for another blog or discuss during the podcast.
Those are the two things that stuck out to me.  Is there anything else that you believe is biblical in the tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs?  Let me know your thoughts in the comments!

This post is brought to you from Danielle's corner.  Be sure to give this post a plus if you liked it.  Do you agree with Danielle's points?  Do you disagree?  Why or why not?  Let us know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment