Sunday, March 16, 2014

Danielle's Corner: The Redemption of the Evil Queen

I watch the show Once Upon a Time on ABC.  I won't lie to you, the show appeals to me.  I love fairy stories with their fun lighthearted and moral elements.  But I also like raw stories that are dark and don't sugar coat things.  Once Upon a Time tries to be the show that bridges that gap between those two elements...though in my opinion the show fails to truly bring these two genres together.  The show has a ton of flaws and is cliche.  The actors are okay.  Some are awesome and some I can't stand.  But I still watch the show because there is something about it that brings me back.  That something, or someone I should say,  is the Evil Queen.
First of all, the Evil Queen (Regina) is arguably the best character in the entire show.  There are many attributes to this statement.  The first attribute is that her character is complex but not in a cliche sort of way.  Tons of characters from Once Upon a Time are made to seem complex when really it is just easy writing.  I'm in no way saying I could do better but that is just my opinion.  Regina is by far the most well thought out character.  Her back-story is beautiful and heartbreaking.  She is flawed in the best way possible and is the balance in the show.  She balances the show by being the bridge between good and evil, the see-saw that constantly is falling back and forth and living out the eternal struggle of living for one's own self interests or living for something greater and beyond themselves.  Besides her actual character, the actress who plays her, Lana Parrilla, is incredible!  She plays Regina with such grace and charisma.  The best part of her performance is watching her facial expressions.  The performance is all in her face.  No other actor in the show seems to capture the complexities of their character as she does...though Mr. Gold/Rumpelstiltskin comes close.
As I said above, I watch the show and enjoy it but don't think it is a good show per say.  However, I do have a hope for the show that would redeem it.  I hope beyond hope that my wish will come true (pun intended)!  My hope is that the show will end with Regina becoming good.  Not a temporary good like we have seen in previous episodes.  I mean she will truly become a good human being.  The show seems to revolve around the struggle she encounters every day about choosing which side she wants to be on and it is so good, it makes me feel like she is the show and it should end with a focus on her.  That would make me so incredibly happy!

This post is brought to you from Danielle's corner.  Be sure to give this post a plus if you liked it.  Do you agree with Danielle's points?  Do you disagree?  Why or why not?  Let us know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment